The final week of the 2023 college football season is upon us and unfortunately, that means we’ve reached the final week of Pac-12 football as we know it. And it’s a shame, because this was the most interesting season we’ve seen from the “Conference of Champions” in quite some time.
Several teams emerged as conference title contenders over the course of the campaign, but only two will be able to go to Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas for the title game. Here are the Pac-12 Championship Game scenarios as we head into the final week of the season:
Current Pac-12 Standings
1. Washington: 8-0 Pac-12, 11-0 overall*
2. Oregon: 7-1 Pac-12, 10-1 overall
3. Arizona: 6-2 Pac-12, 8-3 overall
4. Oregon State: 5-3 Pac-12, 8-3 overall
5. USC: 5-4 Pac-12, 7-5 overall
6. Utah: 4-4 Pac-12, 7-4 overall
7. UCLA: 4-4 Pac-12, 7-4 overall
8. Cal: 3-5 Pac-12, 5-6 overall
9. Arizona State: 2-6 Pac-12, 3-8 overall
10. Washington State: 2-6 Pac-12, 5-6 overall
11. Stanford: 2-7 Pac-12, 3-8 overall
12. Colorado: 1-7 Pac-12, 4-7 overall
*Clinched a spot in the Pac-12 Championship Game
As you can see, Washington has already punched its ticket to the Pac-12 title game and clinched its spot with its 22-20 victory over Oregon State on Saturday. With an 8-0 record in conference, the Huskies own the head-to-head tiebreaker over second-place Oregon and that’s what propelled them to the title game.
Oregon controls its own destiny for a potential rematch with Washington in Las Vegas. The Ducks can get it with either a win over rival Oregon State this Saturday, or an Arizona loss to Arizona State.
Arizona has ripped off five straight victories in the back half of its season and has snuck into the title hunt just in time for the final week of the regular season. For the Wildcats to clinch a spot, it needs a win over Arizona State and an Oregon loss to Oregon State. Let’s explain how this scenario works:
- Because Arizona and Oregon didn’t play each other this season, the next tiebreaker scenario would be record against common opponents with the best conference record.
- Both teams lost to Washington, so you would move down to Oregon State.
- Arizona defeated Oregon State and with Oregon losing to the Beavers in this scenario, the Wildcats get the edge and go to Las Vegas for the title game.