The Atlanta Falcons ended the 2022 season in last place in the NFC South. They were hoping for some clarity regarding the quarterback position, but it just got muddled further. The Falcons have holes to fill on both sides of the ball but could benefit from a lackluster NFC South to get back to the postseason for the first time since 2017.
2022 in review
Atlanta brought in veteran Marcus Mariota, who ended up stepping away from the team by the end of the year as they turned to Desmond Ridder. He ended his rookie year with 708 passing yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions in four games. The Falcons will want to take advantage of having Kyle Pitts and Drake London while they can, so they need to prioritize adding a reliable quarterback.
Atlanta is expected to re-sign EDGE Lorenzo Carter, but their important pending free agents don’t stop there. Right tackle Kaleb McGary is going to be one of the more sought-after tackles on the market, and he played 100% of offensive snaps for the Falcons last season. Linebacker Rashaan Evans was a key staple of the defense playing in 98.4 % of defensive snaps and is also due to be a free agent.
Falcons’ free agency rumors, signings and losses
- The Falcons are re-signing RT Kaleb McGary to a 3-year, $34.5 million deal, per Jeremy Fowler.
- QB Taylor Heinicke has been signed by the Atlanta Falcons. He will likely compete with Desmond Ridder for the starting job, per Ian Rapoport
- The Falcons agreed to a four-year, $64 million deal with former Bengals safety Jessie Bates, per reports.
- Falcons signed LB Kaden Elliss, formerly of the Saints, per Ian Rapoport.
- Falcons signed DT David Onyemata to a three-year, $35 million contract, NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo. He will get $24 million guaranteed. Former Saints coach and now defensive coordinator for the Falcons, Ryan Nielsen, grabbing some of his old players.
- The Falcons and OG Chris Lindstrom have reached an agreement on a five-year, $105 million contract extension, per Jeremy Fowler.
- The Falcons traded with the Patriots to get TE Jonnu Smith, per Ian Rapoport.