This week we saw lots of movement in the playoff race for the 2021 NFL season, with several teams having clinched their division this week and several more now out of the race.
The AFC picture became much clearer in Week 17 after the Patriots officially clinched their trip to the post-season. The Dolphins sit at 8-8 and it would seem, given the position of the Bills at the top of the division — for now, however, we wait and see. The Raiders beat the Colts to move into sixth place in the overall standings, while the Dolphins and Ravens both lost.
In the NFC, the Bucs came back to beat the Jets on another Tom Brady comeback. The Eagles guaranteed themselves a winning season with a win over Washington. They can clinch a playoff berth on Sunday with help from the Panthers and Packers.
Sunday Night Football update: The Packers have eliminated the Vikings from playoff contention and clinched the No. 1 seed in the NFC by doing so. Look for the Packers to rest their starters in the final week of the season with the bye secure.
4:05/4:25 p.m. update: The Chargers beat the Broncos to eliminate them, the Browns, and the Dolphins from playoff contention.
Below are the eight divisional standings after 16 weeks of football. We’ll update with results as Sunday and Monday close out. *=clinched playoff berth; **=clinched division ***=clinched conference
- Buffalo Bills, 10-6*
- New England Patriots, 10-6*
- Miami Dolphins, 8-8 — eliminated
- New York Jets, 4-12 — eliminated
- Cincinnati Bengals, 10-6**
- Pittsburgh Steelers, 8-7-1
- Baltimore Ravens, 8-8
- Cleveland Browns, 7-9 — eliminated
- Tennessee Titans, 11-5**
- Indianapolis Colts, 9-7
- Houston Texans, 4-12 — eliminated
- Jacksonville Jaguars, 2-14 — eliminated
- Kansas City Chiefs, 12-4**
- Los Angeles Chargers, 9-7
- Las Vegas Raiders, 9-7
- Denver Broncos, 7-9 — eliminated
- Dallas Cowboys, 11-5**
- Philadelphia Eagles, 9-7*
- Washington Football Team, 6-10 — eliminated
- New York Giants, 4-12 — eliminated
- Green Bay Packers, 13-3***
- Minnesota Vikings, 7-9 — eliminated
- Chicago Bears, 6-10 — eliminated
- Detroit Lions, 2-13-1 — eliminated
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 12-4**
- New Orleans Saints, 8-8
- Atlanta Falcons, 7-9 — eliminated
- Carolina Panthers, 5-11 — eliminated