Monday night was the big night. Yes. the Lakers raised their In-Season Tournament banner to the rafter to join all their other celebrations of past championship glory.
The Lakers have officially unveiled their In-Season Tournament championship banner pic.twitter.com/cPEK12RHcg— DraftKings (@DraftKings) December 19, 2023
Of course, on such a momentous occasion, The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz had some thoughts.
Dan notes that since winning the NBA Cup last week in Las Vegas, the Lakers have actually had a bit of a letdown, losing three of their last four games. But who could blame them? Dan notes that the Lakers have positioned their IST banner around their other NBA championship banners and it looks better and more modern than those banners. Stugotz says you can’t do that, claiming the IST championship banner has no place even in the arena. He says George Mikan must be rolling over in his grave right now! It’s an embarrassment and that LeBron and the Lakers are taking it so seriously is a complete embarrassment for one of the great organizations in sports. Although, LeBron may or may not have been into the banner unveiling.
LeBron honestly looked like he’d rather be anywhere else during the unveiling last night. pic.twitter.com/oqdqf7z8dH— Bron’s Best (@LBJsBest) December 19, 2023
The Pacers? Sure, they can raise this banner. The Hawks? Why not. But if you’re the Lakers or Celtics, Stugotz says you can’t do it. It’s a meaningless banner!
Greg Cote couldn’t agree more and says he would liken it to the Yankees celebrating the best record in Spring Training with a banner. It’s a made-up tournament, he says, with no history whatsoever. In 15 years, if the IST sticks around and maybe picks up steam, then maybe you do celebrate winning it, Greg says, although Chris notes that the only way to get there is to do exactly what the Lakers are doing and it’s one of the dumbest things his dad has ever said. Right now, Greg says, it’s worth nothing. Mike, meanwhile, would love to know about the tournament that WASN’T made up – they have to start somewhere and often across the globe they happen midseason. And, Mike notes, it looks like the Lakers will only be hanging one IST banner with room for future victories built in.
Stugotz is undeterred, saying the REAL NBA championship banners represent ACCOMPLISHMENTS! But, as Roy points out, isn't this at least on some level an accomplishment? Greg says it’s nothing, but Mike disagrees noting that there was a competition and at the end, the Lakers were the ones left standing. Mike says this will have tradition the more that they do it.
Stugotz continues to argue that the IST banner should be nowhere near Mikan’s banners, which sets Chris off and has Mike pointing out that the naysayers are getting what they want by virtue of the fact that there will be only one IST banner in the rafters in LA and this could establish a precedent other organizations follow when it comes to celebrating an IST title. It’s not being treated like winning the Larry O’Brien trophy/NBA championship, Mike says — it’s being treated as an inaugural tournament that needs to build up its history. And that last part is Dan’s favorite part of Greg’s argument, calling for history from a tournament in its first year. Never change, Greg. And Ya Know It!
Meanwhile, the crew discusses Steelers safety Damontae Kazee being suspended for the rest of the season after a big hit on Michael Pittman Jr., despite Tom Brady saying that it’s on the quarterback for putting players in a bad spot ...
Local Hour: The 2023 DLS Turk Off!
- It! Is! Time! The 2023 Dan Le Batard Show Turk Off is here as Greg Cote and Roy Bellamy compete for the best tasting turkey in the DLS family. Then, His name is Puka, Puka Nacua, and his quarterback is not named Tua , Lucy tells us about a hilarious new Iowa Offensive Coordinator candidate, and Billy needs a snot rocket as he’s dressed in his F1 Bucket of Death punishment. Plus, we check in with Greg as he fries his turkey on a concrete ledge while barefoot in an enclosed garage next to live wires, Tommy Devito’s agent cashes in, and John Oliver is “woke.”
The Big Suey: Can’t Spell Margarita Without the Rita
- The crew continues to watch Greg fry his turkey, and it’s a truly a sight to behold. Pablo Torre is here to discuss Eric Adams and his bizarre comments on New York, why Domonique Foxworth should be the president, and to preview his new PTFO with Smush Parker. Then, Mike fell in love with bowl games all over again because of the Famous Toastery Bowl, and men generally feel they’re younger than they are. Plus, Ron Magill is here to chat about the Cesta Cyclones recent loss, relieve Lucy of her dog-based guilt, and tell us about the white alligator.
Hour 1: THE TURK OFF GOES TO A VOTE
- Greg and Roy’s turkeys are officially done... They spend some time slicing turkey in the eating area for Dan, Stu, Mike, Lucy, Billy and Chris to taste and cast their votes on which turkey is the best. Who will win? Will the 6 votes result in a tie? Can Roy pull off the upset? Will Greg’s fried turkey prevail? Will Matthew Kugler need to step in? Plus, Stugotz predicts the Clippers will win the title, the Demontae Kazee suspension, and dog double dutch.
Hour 2: Lucy’s Rizz Quiz
- Dan is flabbergasted to have finally seen someone who is a bigger liar than Stugotz. Then, Lucy has a new game called the “Rizz Quiz” where she tests Dan, Greg, and Stugotz’s knowledge on terms used by young people, and it goes exactly how you’d expect. Plus, Greg and Stu torch the Lakers for their In-Season Tournament banner, Monday Night Football gave us some QB sound from Jalen Hurts that was actually useful for once, and there’s a LOT happening in College Football bowl season.
Postgame Show: Greg Runs Through the Hurdles
- Lucy is furious over Greg Cote’s disdain for bowl season, and Billy, Lucy, Roy, and Greg go to the Bucket of Death.
The Crown Is Yours: Sign up for DraftKings and experience the ultimate host for games and betting experiences!