After a wild weekend, the College Football Playoff is set and boy, does The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz crew have some thoughts as the CHAOS has arrived.
Obviously, the big news was that undefeated Florida State, which endured injuries to their top two quarterbacks and still held on to defeat Louisville to win the ACC title was left out in the cold and outside the playoff. If you want more insight into how the committee works, make sure to check out an episode of Pablo Torre Finds Out from last week where he talks with a former member of the committee.
Coach Prime himself, Deion Sanders, one of the biggest names of this college football season, joined the show on Monday. What did the Florida State alum think about his alma mater being rejected by the committee?
Deion’s thoughts aside, Dan says Sunday’s reveal was the perfect spectacle, with the only way it could have been topped was if each of the six contenders selected a representative to argue on their behalf before America and turn that into the pregame show. Dan says it’s not about measuring the best, but rather it’s a concoction with the goal of making a television show. It’s a made-for-television spectacle, it’s not pure.
Stugotz actually wants to applaud the committee! He doesn’t care what it is, it was entertaining and he thinks we got the Final 4 that we wanted with the most ENTERTAINING teams in the country. Stugotz applauds the committee because he believes the four teams they put in the playoff are better than Florida State.
Jessica pushes back a bit, saying she’s not sure if that’s true and that it depends on how you rate these things. She says the committee’s argument seems to be that without Jordan Travis, Florida State is a different team. She doesn’t think it came down to being a second-tier league, although Mike Golic Jr. would beg to differ based on the argument he made on GoJo and Golic.
“I still can’t help but feel like if Florida State had the Big Ten or the SEC logo on the side of their helmets, we would have looked at those last two wins and said, ‘Hey, they found a way to win.’ ” — @mikegolicjr pic.twitter.com/Lx6edBLdwr— DraftKings Network (@DKNetwork) December 4, 2023
Jessica does admit that there was no way there would be a playoff without an SEC team and she could have even seen a scenario where BOTH Alabama and Georgia made it in. And Mike is quick to point out that Georgia is out after back-to-back national titles and a 29-game win streak after losing by a mere three points to Alabama. Hey Stugotz, is Georgia really not one of the best four teams?
Nope, he doesn’t think so! Well isn’t that convenient? And as Jessica points out, this may be one of the worst Alabama teams in the last decade. So, Mike says if you’re going to apply that logic, Georgia should be there too. As Mike says, there really was no great answer and one or more schools were likely to be angry at the end, but he admits that generally most people are like Stugotz — happy that they get to see Alabama in the CFP rather than a third-string QB for Florida State.
Meanwhile, the 49ers won a heavyweight fight in Philadelphia on Sunday — literally and figuratively.
Monday Hangover: Poor FSU and Ryan Tannehill
- Billy took a vacation that nobody knew about so Chris Cote joins the show. Do the Packers have another quarterback for the next 15 years that the Jets will eventually sign to run their team? Lucy is back from the SEC Championship game and she shares her existential crisis for how heartbroken she is for FSU for being left out of the playoff, but completely understands the decision. Fuentes gives his top 5 list and Mikey A fills in on the BBBBB.
Local Hour: It’s Time to Take Advantage of Our Audience
- Dan “The Urinator” Le Batard is taking a break from his normal balanced perspective to celebrate the No. 1 seed in the AFC, the Miami Dolphins! Dan, Stugotz, and the Shipping Container discuss Tua, Tyreek Hill’s dominance, the Dolphins becoming the Chiefs, and more after the Fins blowout victory. Then, Dan ruined David Samson’s weekend because David ruined Dan’s merch store with exorbitant prices that take advantage of the audience and profits that “trickle down” to the Shipping Container. Plus, Deion Sanders is here to celebrate PORTAL DAY! Deion discusses the College Football Playoff including Nick Saban, Washington ruining everything, his team this year, and recruiting in the transfer portal.
The Big Suey: The College Football Playoff
- The whole crew has strong takes on the College Football Playoff Selection Committee after FSU was excluded from the Playoff after an undefeated season, Georgia was discarded, and Alabama found its way to the party. Does the regular season not matter? Are losses better than wins? Is this JUST a made-for-TV event? Should Jordan Travis have broken his leg sooner? The conversation continues as Chris Cote seems to see every side of the debate, Jessica rails against Michigan’s inclusion in the Playoff after cheating, and Stugotz flip-flops in his opinion that the regular season should matter most. This entire thing is a clusterbleep. Plus, we do finally get to Tony’s NFL takes that were backed up to the point of a nose bleed. Those 49ers, huh?
Hour 1: Heinie McGee
- The New England Patriots are impossibly bad, and our Miami-based crew is reveling in it. Dan is still upset about the merch store. Was that a bit? Jess is still upset about “Foot Girls.” Was THAT a bit? Then, Spencer Hall is here to tell us about all the wildly hilarious parts of what happened with the CFP committee yesterday and to explain why College Football is a perfect microcosm for America. Plus, have you ever wished the NFL had their own committee? And Dan wants to turn FSU into UCF.
Hour 2: Mike Ryan’s Hot Dad
- Mike Ryan’s Handsome Dad™ joins the show IN-STUDIO as the crew fawns all over him and proposes Meadowlark Media’s own version of The Golden Bachelor. Then, today is one of the best Dolphins Mondays of his lifetime, so why doesn’t Chris Cote feel that way? Plus, Stugotz’s Weekend Observations and Dan’s experience with cash at the valet. Also, is Dan going to make a mockery of the Heisman Trophy voting?
Postgame Show: Sunday Night Live With Tony & JuJu – NFL Postgame Show Week 13
- The BIGGEST NFL Postgame show in the world brings you everything that happened in Week 13 of the NFL.
The Crown Is Yours: Sign up for DraftKings and experience the ultimate host for games and betting experiences!