clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

How much are Artur Beterbiev and Callum Smith getting paid for Saturday’s light heavyweight bout

Artur Beterbiev and Callum Smith face off on Saturday, January 13 in a light heavyweight fight. We break down the purse for both fighters.

Tyson Fury v Derek Chisora III - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium Photo by Zac Goodwin/PA Images via Getty Images

Unbeaten IBF, WBO, and WBC light heavyweight champion Artur Beterbiev (19-0, 19 KOs) looks to defend his belts in a showdown versus Callum Smith (29-1, 21 KOs). ESPN+ has coverage of the bout on Saturday, January 13.

Beterbiev possesses highlight reel KO power, since turning professional in 2013, he has won all 19 fights by way of knockout. The 38-year-old has dispatched two top fighters in the division of late in Joe Smith Jr. and Anthony Yarde.

Smith is a former WBC super middleweight titleholder, as his lone professional loss came against Canelo Alvarez in 2020. This will be his third fight at the light heavyweight level, coming off of back-to-back KO wins himself.

Ahead of their clash, let’s go over their potential payouts for this light heavyweight title fight.

Beterbiev-Smith Purse for light heavyweight bout

According to BoxingScene, Top Rank Inc. won the bid for this WBC-mandated title fight back in May. Bob Arum’s promotion group out-bid Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom with a final offer of $2,115,000. Top Rank’s amount was about $15k more than the $2,100,000 offered up by Matchroom.

WBC fights generally call for a 70/30 split going to the champ, per Bad Left Hook, with that coming after 10% is set aside for the fight winner. As reigning unified light heavyweight champion, Beterbiev is set to take home 70% of 90% of the $2.1 million bid, a guaranteed purse of $1,332,450. Smith, as the challenger, will take home 30% of 90% of the winning bid, guaranteeing him roughly $571,050 for the bout. The winner will take home the remaining 10%, which amounts to $211,500.

The stage is set and after a summer delay, we get to see this highly anticipated unified bout.