When the Vikings fired now Jaguars offensive coordinator John DeFilippo while in that same position in Minnesota, head coach Mike Zimmer made it clear that it was because he did not commit enough to the run. So it should surprise nobody that the Vikings won on opening weekend while throwing the ball just 10 times. It was just the third time since 2008 that a team won a game while throwing 10 times or less. They ran it 38 times for 172 yards, establishing the identity the head coach greatly desires.
The good news for the Packers is that they escaped the season opener with a win against the division-rival Bears, and that their defense looks much improved after investing a lot into it this offseason. The bad news is they only scored 10 points, and Aaron Rodgers still looks fairly mortal under the new coaching staff. He completed just 18 of 30 passes for 203 yards, tossing the game’s only touchdown.
This Minnesota defense limited Matt Ryan and the Falcons to just 12 points. If this unit can do the same to Rodgers, we could have another major defensive battle on our hands. While the Vikings were effective running the ball in Week 1, they will likely struggle a little more against Green Bay. Chicago averaged just 3.1 yards per carry against them.
All odds provided by DraftKings Sportsbook and all odds subject to change.
Vikings at Packers
Point Spread: Vikings +3
Total Points: 44
Money Line: Vikings +135; Packers -165
Overall 2018 (2019): Vikings 8-7-1 (1-0); Packers 6-9-1 (1-0)
ATS 2018 (2019): Vikings 8-7-1 (1-0); Packers 6-9-1 (1-0)
O/U 2018 (2019): Vikings 6-10 (0-1); Packers 8-8 (0-1)
Notable Prop Bets
Total Points - Over 20.5 -104, Under 20.5 -125
Total Touchdowns - Over 2.5 -105, Under 2.5 -127
First to 20 Points - Vikings +155; Packers -120; Tie +450
Game to Go to Overtime - Yes +950; No -2500
- The Packers have won 11 of their last 12 home openers.
- The home team has covered the spread in five of the last six games between the Vikings and Packers.
- Each of the last seven games between NFC North teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- Stefon Diggs has scored at least one touchdown in each of his last seven appearances against NFC North opponents.
- Davante Adams has scored a touchdown in each of his last four appearances against the Vikings.
- Aaron Jones has scored at least one touchdown in each of his last six appearances in day games at Lambeau Field.
Put your knowledge to the test. Sign up for DraftKings and experience the game inside the game.
Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
Odds and lines subject to change. See website for actual odds.
*21+. NJ/WV only. Eligibility restrictions apply. See website for details.