The Week 2 Thursday Night Football game features another NFC divisional rivalry. Last week, the Bears seemingly hadn’t come out of hibernation yet (I’m sorry, I had to do it) and lost 10-3 to the Packers. This week, the Buccaneers take a trip to North Carolina to battle the Panthers. Both teams are looking for their first win of the season, but the odds are in Carolina’s favor with a seven-point spread.
Last season, the Bucs and Panthers split games, with the home team winning each time. Unfortunately for Tampa Bay, its “home game” against Carolina this season will be held in London, so it will have to capitalize outside of Florida if a win over the Panthers is in its future. Cam Newton (DFS single-game salary $11,000) threw two TDs in each game against the Bucs last season, as he aims to get his first passing touchdown of the season. Though, in his career vs. Tampa, Super Cam is averaging one interception per game (four in his last outing.) Inversely, Jameis Winston ($10,400) has thrown nine INTs in seven games against the Panthers, so I’m anticipating some turnovers in this one. If the Panthers want to claw their way back into the playoffs after missing out last season, it’s games like these which they’ll need to win.
All signs are pointing to a Panthers victory, but I can see a late touchdown to Chris Godwin ($8,600) preventing them from covering the spread. The Bucs (like every other team) have had trouble stopping Christian McCaffrey ($12,400 and most expensive player) in their previous four meetings, as he’s averaged 107.1 total yards per game. This matchup won’t be any different.
All odds provided by DraftKings Sportsbook and all odds subject to change.
Buccaneers at Panthers
Point Spread: Buccaneers +7
Total Points: 49
Money Line: Buccaneers +240; Panthers -305
Overall 2018 (2019): Buccaneers 5-11 (0-1); Panthers 7-9 (0-1)
ATS 2018 (2019): Buccaneers 7-7-2 (0-1); Panthers 7-9 (0-1)
O/U 2018 (2019): Buccaneers 9-7 (0-1); Panthers 8-8 (1-0)
Notable Prop Bets
- Jameis Winston to throw the most TD passes in the game: +110
- Chris Godwin to score the last TD of the game: +1400
- Cam Newton to throw over 0.5 interceptions: -115
- Greg Olsen to score a TD and team to win: +220
- The Buccaneers have lost each of their last seven road games.
- The Buccaneers have failed to cover the spread in each of their last five Thursday night games.
- Each of the last five night games between NFC South teams have gone UNDER the total points line.
- In nine of the Buccaneers’ last 11 road games, the highest scoring quarter has been the second.
- Cam Newton has scored a touchdown in six of the Panthers’ last eight Thursday games.
- Curtis Samuel has scored at least one touchdown in each of the Panthers’ last three games as home favorites.
- Mike Evans has scored a touchdown in each of the Buccaneers’ last three Week 2 games.
- Cameron Brate has scored a touchdown in four of the Buccaneers’ last five night games.
- Christian McCaffrey has scored two touchdowns in each of the Panthers’ last two games as home favorites.