Last season, the Chiefs were set to face the Rams for a competition in Mexico City. Due to poor field conditions, the teams resorted back to the States. This season, the Chiefs will try again. On Monday Night Football, Patrick Mahomes and Philip Rivers square off in Estadio Azteca for the fourth regular season game to be played in Mexico. The Chargers have lost nine of the last 10 games against their AFC West rivals, but that one win came in their most recent meeting. Sitting two games behind the division-leading Chiefs, the Chargers need to pull out a win if they want to return to the playoffs for a second consecutive season.
Regardless of Mahomes returning to the field last week and throwing for over 400 yards, the Titans beat the Chiefs to knock them down to 6-4, inching further and further away from that all-important first round bye. Since Mahomes began with the Chiefs, they’ve had no issues racking up the points on offense. Preventing opponents from scoring is a different conversation, though. And with the defense losing its sack leader, Emmanuel Ogbah, the vulnerability increases even more. Over the past three games, Kansas City is allowing just under 30 points per game. Correcting that will be crucial for a deep playoff run.
The Chargers will be feeling relatively fresh after an extending recovery period from last week’s TNF game to this week’s MNF matchup. Rivers will have all of his weapons at his disposal, including Melvin Gordon, who has seemingly returned to his 2018-19 form. He’s averaging 94 rushing yards over the last two games and found the endzone five times in his last four appearances. Kansas City’s defense has allowed the second-most rushing yards per game, so you do the math.
These international games add a degree of uncertainty since it eliminates a home-field advantage, while also being a completely unfamiliar location for both teams. With that said, I think that bodes well for both offenses, since defenses tend to benefit from their home crowds. Also, in two games between these teams last season, each went well over 52 points. I’d take the over here.
All odds provided by DraftKings Sportsbook and all odds subject to change.
Chiefs at Chargers
Point Spread: Chargers +5
Total Points: 52.5
Money Line: Chiefs -235; Chargers +205
Overall: Chiefs 6-4; Chargers 4-6
ATS: Chiefs 5-5; Chargers 3-5-2
O/U: Chiefs 7-3; Chargers 3-7
- Blake Bell (TE) - OUT
- Emmanuel Ogbah (DE) - OUT
- Alex Okafor (DE) - OUT
- Kendall Fuller (CB) - Questionable
- Damien Williams (RB) - Questionable
- Sam Tevi (T) - OUT
- Justin Jackson (RB) - Doubtful
- Geremy Davis (WR) - Doubtful
- Roderic Teamer (S) - Questionable
- Russell Okung (T) - Questionable
- Cole Mazza (LS) - Questionable
Notable Prop Bets
- Patrick Mahomes under 0.5 interceptions: -103
- Damien Williams to score first TD: +650
- Melvin Gordon over 70.5 rushing yards: -118
- Austin Ekeler over 34.5 receiving yards: +108
- The Chiefs have won 23 of their last 25 games against AFC West opponents.
- The Chargers have failed to cover the spread in seven of their last eight games against AFC opponents.
- Five of the Chiefs’ last six Monday night games have gone OVER the total points line.
- The Chargers have lost the first quarter in each of their last seven night games.
- Melvin Gordon III has scored the first touchdown in three of the Chargers’ last four games.
- Travis Kelce has scored a touchdown in each of the Chiefs’ last four Monday night games.
- Tyreek Hill has scored at least one touchdown in four of the Chiefs’ last five games.
Odds and lines subject to change. See website for actual odds.
Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER
*21+. NJ/IN only. Eligibility restrictions apply. See website for details.